Monday, January 5, 2009

It's Over

Lake goes back to school tomorrow. I hate to see the fun of Christmas break end. We have spent several of our days in pajamas (that never happens here anymore). So, today, instead of spending time blogging, I will be spending time with my favorite guys. See you guys tomorrow when I am back to my regularly scheduled program.....For those of you who came here to read something more substantial than me griping about my son returning to 2nd grade......here is a snippet of something I wrote last December:

I have been thinking about New Year's resolutions. Maybe a resolution or goal would get my mind off the bleakness of January. I have resolved to spend more time in the Word, but other than that the only two other resolutions that I can come up with are to exercise and lose weight. I hate to be cliche since EVERYONE makes a resolution to exercise and lose weight, but I will try ;-).

I have to admit that I am skeptical every time I hear someone say that they are making a New Year’s resolution. I suppose it is because I, myself have never actually kept a resolution for more than a couple of weeks (okay,… days). It seems to me that the most common resolutions are ones having to do with our physical health, not our spiritual health (I.e. lose weight, get into shape, and spend more time on “me“). While those are all noble causes, I believe that many times as Christians we miss the mark on what God wants us to change about ourselves.As women, I think we tend to compare ourselves to the rest of the world. We want to look and dress like the hottest Hollywood actresses, with no regard to the fact that most of them live totally immoral lives on and off the screen. We envy people who don’t even know the Lord, or worse, completely deny his existence. Should it not be the other way around? The Bible says , “We are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a Holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light” (1 Peter 2:9).

Too many times we get consumed by the latest trends, when we should be consumed by God.This year instead of resolving to beautify our outside appearance, maybe (definitely) we should work on beautifying what is inside. Jeremiah 9:24 says, “But let him who boasts boast of this: that he understands and knows me”. While I think we will never completely understand God on this earth, to better know Him and understand Him is the best resolution for everyone. I think that my main resolution will be to spend more time with the Lord in Bible study and prayer. If I exercise more, then that will just be the icing on the cake (oh, wait I can't have cake......;-).

I pray you all have a Happy (Healthy) New Year !

1 comment:

Heather C said...

Enjoy your time with the kids! :) We're all back to school already. If not, we'd be still going in July!

Last year, the Lord impressed this verse upon my heart at the start of the new year...

"He has shown you, O (wo)man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" (Micah 6:8)

Instead of making my own plans for the year, and resolutions, I'm much better off if I seek to do His will and follow His plan. :)