Sunday, November 16, 2008

Focus

So, maybe you have noticed my brief absence from the blog world (or maybe you could care less). Once again, I have been doing life and have had little time for blogging. I have so many thoughts running through my head right now I could never put them all into words. No time to blog sends one into a state of backlog. Unfortunately, the time I have to type this post is quite minimal as well, but hopefully I will be back in a day or two with some randomness (I know you can't wait). AND, hopefully I will be able to catch up on all your blogs at some point today......if anyone knows what to do about the fact that my sidebar thingie does not show updates correctly please tell me how I can fix it.............most of the time, when I do not visit/comment on your blogs, it is because I didn't know they had been updated. My computer is fairly new, so I cant imagine what the problem is......ever heard of Murphy's Law? Yeah, it usually applies to me in most every area of my life ;-).



The Lord has really been speaking to me lately about keeping the main thing the main thing. What is the main thing, you ask? Why, Jesus of course. When I say that I am busy from the time my feet hit the floor at 6:15 am until the time I lay down at night (anywhere from 11-12 pm), I am not exaggerating one bit. Among COUNTLESS other activities, we have been working lots of hours at the new house, we have had church "stuff" to do, and to top it all off, Lake has basketball evaluations tomorrow night (which begins yet another season of round ball for the family). Don't get me wrong, I know that most of you reading this are just as busy as I am. Not for a minute do I believe that I am the only hurried and harried mother who has no time to even breathe. There are lots of us out there.....not just mothers, but both men and women are much busier today than they were 20 years ago.



Maybe it's just me, but when I am as busy as I have been lately, it is difficult for me to keep my eyes on Jesus. It is a struggle for me to stay focused on what is important when I am burning the candle at both ends (even when some of the busy-ness revolves around the church). Ever heard the phrase "idle hands are the devil's workshop"? I think the same can be said of busy hands. It is easy to get distracted when your attention is drawn in so many directions. It is easy to become discouraged or dissatisfied when you rarely have a minute to just be still and know. When we are in the business of busy-ness we are quick to take our eyes off God and it is very difficult to regain our 'Godly tunnel vision'.

God does not want us to be a slave to a schedule or to be held captive by a flurry of activity. God never intended for us to simply go through the motions in life.....if He did He would never have mentioned that thing about ABUNDANT life. We are entering the busiest season of the year for most of us, I am praying that I will be able to keep my eyes on Jesus (it IS His birthday)
and slow down enough to live in each moment rather than look back with regret. The devil loves a busy, preoccupied Christian.....we are easy targets.......we need to keep that in mind this time of year more than any other. When we are in the busy-ness business, we are making life much easier for our adversary and I'm certain that NONE of us wants to do anything to make it easier for satan to attack. Let's try our best to make this holiday season extremely tough on satan by keeping our eyes firmly set on Jesus.

12 comments:

Greg P. said...

You mentioned that we are busier than we were 20 years ago. That's true. The technology that is supposed to make our life easier is just making it busier. We try to do more and more and more. No matter what the business geniuses tell us, people are not designed to multi-task, but, we get caught up in it. If it was so natural to do why is our economy so screwed up?

We are supposed to build up treasure in heaven. The more we try to accumulate down here, the less we are building up in heaven. There is nothing wrong with accumulating as long as it has it's place. That place being well after Jesus Christ, who should have first place locked up for life.

Very good post Beth and very timely.

ocean mommy said...

You know God is working this into my heart too...

Hugs
steph.

Stephanie said...

Thank you for this timely reminder! You are so right!

Eddie said...

Life does get hectic and sometimes we focus on the wrong things and we're so influenced by TV commercials, busy-ness of life and by people all of which lead us away from God. YOur so right that it is His Day and we should focus on Him and Him alone. I'm praying that with all that you have on your plate, that you will be able to catch your breath and rest some. Even young people like yourself, need rest. I know that you and Lisa both have a busy life and you both just need to take a break. Love you Dad

Anonymous said...

Years ago I heard the phrase:

"If the devil can't make you bad;
He will make you busy"

And that is just so true!!

Great post especially as we head into the Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

God has really me speaking to me about this as well. Interestingly enough, just a few days ago, I heard Beth Moore make the comment, "If the devil can't make you bad, he'll make you busy." I have been thinking on that since I heard it. We can work so hard to let the devil tempt us into doing wrong, but the working so hard part can get us into trouble. Sometimes it is so hard to find that right balance.

By the way, I'm thinking I might be the faceless person on your faithful followers...so here's yet another anonymous post!
Angela

Anonymous said...

By the way, that was supposed to be, "We can work so hard to NOT let the devil tempt us..." Thought I'd better correct that or people would think, "No wonder that girl has temptations! She's working hard to get them!"
Angela

Fran said...

Girl..Do I ever know this. Keep at Him...Keep on Him.

I love ya. I'll await that randomness. :)

Heidi Zawisza said...

oh Bethanne I relate sooooo much to this, and have been struggeling with keeping my own prioritys straight(hence my sporadic posts lately....I just can't seem to handle life AND the computer lately.....hmmmmmmmm). I am trying to keep my eyes on Jesus.....but it is VERY easy to get distracted and try to do it MY way.
Thanks for the encouraging post!

Carol said...

I've been praying this very same thing. I've got to slow down and live.

Sandi said...

a great and timely reminder!!!....man is it ever hard to implement....but so neccessary

Alana said...

That is what I am hoping and praying for! Great post, Bethanne!