Friday, May 8, 2009

Feet Time

It's no secret that I hate feet. I guess hate may be too strong a word....how about if I just say I don't like the look of feet? I have never seen a pretty foot and just the thought of feet kind of grosses me out (other than baby feet - baby feet are cute). I appreciate feet for their usefulness, but they are simply not aesthetically pleasing to my eye....any of them (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone or your feet).
As I sat down to type this, feet came to my mind for some odd reason, so I did a Bible Gateway search of the word "feet" and got 262 results. (I promise I am going somewhere with this....stick with me). Alot of those results were relating to measure, such as in Ezra where the temple was to be built 90 feet high and 90 feet wide. Or in Esther where Haman had (his own ;-) gallows built 75 feet high. And you will remember that Goliath was over 9 feet tall compared to David who was just a young boy.
Other references to feet were about people whose feet were lame like Mephibosheth and Jonathan. Or what about when Ruth lays beside Boaz and uncovers his feet waiting to see if he will fight to be her kinsman redeemer? There are verses about foot washing, feet being like feet of deer, feet being cut off, people walking on foot, wiping dust from feet and moving on, enemies being under our feet, the feet of those who bring Good News being blessed......the Bible is full of references to feet.
But......
The foot references I like the best are the ones where people fall at the feet of Jesus. I wont list them all, but over and over in the Gospels we see people falling on their knees in the presence of Jesus---falling at His feet.

Mark 5:33
Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth.

Mark 5:22
Then one of the synagogue rulers, named Jairus, came there. Seeing Jesus, he fell at his feet

Luke 7:44
Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.

Luke 7:45
You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet.

When we see Jesus we will all fall at His feet in worship. Have you ever pictured the moment when you will finally see Jesus face to face? I've never seen Jesus face to face before, but I have a feeling that there wont be much face time in our first "in-person" meeting......I have a feeling there will be more "feet-time" than anything. I just bet that face to face will quickly turn into face to feet (our face to His feet) and I am positive that those will be the sweetest, most aesthetically pleasing feet any of us will have ever seen.

Take a minute and try to picture what it will be like when you touch Jesus for the first time in person. Picture in your mind's eye what it will be like when He actually touches you. Whatever you mentally picture will pale sadly in comparison to the real thing, but I promise whatever struggles you are going through today will become irrelevant when you picture yourself falling at the feet of Jesus.

7 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Can't type. Just want to think about Him for a little while...

Hugs and Happy Mother's Day
steph.

Lisa said...

LOVE this! Thank you for giving me something to ponder this afternoon.
Blessings - Lisa

Mari said...

Great post! I never would have thought you would end up there, from talking about how you dislike feet, but coming from you I shouldn't be surprised! :) You made me think of the song by Amy Grant named Beautiful Feet - have you ever heard it? And of course there is the verse - "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of them who bring good news" Isaiah 52:7

Amanda said...

I love you worshipful heart these days. Jesus and you are spending a lot of time together aren't you? Sometimes I just picture my opportunity to wash his feet with my hair as I wipe away the over abundant tears that I KNOW WILL be all over Him when I meet his feet "face to feet" for the first time!

{patty} said...

Beth, thanks for the beautiful word! I cannot even fathom what it will be like, it is so overwhelming to try to imagine.....

Fran said...

I hung in there and I'm glad I did. Just like the song "I can only imagine."

Love ya girl.

Carol said...

Phew, that was good. I know I'll be at His feet basking in His glory. What a day that will be.