Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Quick Thought

I was just reading my Facebook page. I have noticed a distrubing trend on Facebook.....unashamed promotion of sin. Yes, I know it isnt something new, but it seems to be getting much worse. Okay, you might be thinking I sound like a preacher from the 1800's when I say that, but hear me out on this (or read me out as the case may be). The Bible says we should not do anything to cause our brother to stumble, right? Yet, I see Christians on Facebook (and out in public as well) promoting their sin as if it isnt sin at all. Are you pickin' up what I'm throwin' down here? It's one thing for a non-believer to promote and glorify their sin....that's just what nn-believers do.....they do not believe in God, so they dont see sin as sin, but they see it as fun. But for believers (or "so-called" believers) to blatantly and openly advertise for satan on their Facebook status, well, it just bothers me to no end.

It begs the question(s), do we really believe that God is real, and that He actually is Holy? Do we believe He expects US to be Holy? Do we REALLY believe Jesus is coming back (and SOON)? And do we even CARE how He will find us? Are our actions and words building other believers up in the faith or are thy causing them to stumble?

Some would say "What is sin to you, may not be sin to someone else"....I beg to differ! The Bible explains sin to us pretty clearly, and I think it's safe to say if there is a question, it is always better to err on the side of caution. In other words, if what you are doing could ruin your witness or cause a Christian brother or sister to sin, it's best not to do it.

Before you accuse me of being "holier than thou", let me just say that I'm not claiming to be perfect, as a matter of fact, I hate to think of the times in my life that I have been a poor witness for Jesus.......

I feel as though sin holds no more shame for the believer than it does for the unbeliever anymore.........I suppose it's a sign of the last days when even the church will fall away and you guys know I am all about prophecy, but shameless promotion of sin on the part of believers is troubling to me. I hope it troubles you too.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

I've noticed the same thing. People who are stradling both sides of the fence. If you didn't know they were believers, you still wouldn't know.

It's time that we hold each other accountable.
Blessings - Lisa

Bethany said...

It's very disturbing to see people glorifying sin - especially Christians - but thankfully I'm not seeing it among my Christian friends on facebook.

Do you leave a comment when one of your Christian friends posts something objectionable?

BethAnne said...

It depends on what they are talking about......sometimes I might say something but most of the time I dont say anything because no matter what I would say, it would sound as though I think I am superior or preaching....know what I mean?

Tony C said...

Funny timing. I just posted on Tony C Today about how Christians can use Facebook for God's glory.

It deeply troubles me that Christians would project such a negative side. Don't feel like you're judging Beth Anne...wrong is wrong and people should be called out on it...excuse me...those claiming to be Christians should be called out on it.

Bethany said...

I do know what you mean. I struggle with the same thing... I don't know that I'd say anything either. No one likes to be seen as self-righteous.

And yet... I think back to those times when someone has cared enough about me to say "ENOUGH! Look what you're doing to your witness. Look what you're doing to our Lord!" Who else would say it, if not us? Who else would remind our brothers and sisters of who they are and Who claims them?

It's something for me to think about.
~Bethany

Melanie said...

PREACH IT BETHANNE!!! God's word is not a suggestion, it is a MANDATE!! He does not say, "I know it is hard, but could you be holy because I am holy?" No, he says, "BE HOLY FOR I AM HOLY". People take for granted the fear of God, he is a loving God but he is also a powerful and just God. Even in the old test. a rope had to be tied around the priest before he could even go into the holy of holies because the high priest could be killed by God in Holy of Holies if not properly prepared according to God's instructions. Bethanne this blog is so true, many Christians are comitting adultery with the world. The claim to be married to Christ and his word but the still "flirt" with the things of this world. I am really praying, God makes it so clear in Rev 3:16, "because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth." My Lord..we better get right Church..soon..

Steve said...

Well said! In 2nd Timothy,3:1-7 it talks about this very thing. Man shall become lovers of them own selves,proud,lovers of pleasures more then lovers of God: Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof:(from such turn away) Good post.

Anonymous said...

I think even if people think you might be Holier than thou..Preaching or Superior, let'em think it...There's nothing wrong with being a witness...and there is nothing wrong standing up for our Lord...

I would hope you would do that for me, and let me tell ya, there have been many people let me know, when my little lite has not been shining..it's very humbling..to say the most..

Great Post...

Alana said...

You are very right. I try to be thoughtful about what I post, but I'm sure there have been times that I have spoken when I should have kept quiet. Thought provoking post.

Warren Baldwin said...

Hi, I linked here from Greg's blog. Hope you don't mind pop-in visitors! I read this post and had to respond. I think you are right-on, and I don't think you are being judgmental. We have to make some value judgments, don't we? The Bible teaches us to do that, and we can do so without being condescending or judgmental.

As a minister I'm concerned when kids from my church graduate, go to college, and then post some of their party pics on FB for everyone to see. They have no idea how they are damaging their Christian witness. College can be such a great opportunity for them to serve Christ on campus, and yet they cave. The pressure is great, I know, but the one who is within us is greater than the one who is without. I have two college age kids so I know some of the pressures they face. That is why we send them to Christian colleges. No, they aren't perfect, but they do find many peers there to support them.

FB is a great means of staying in touch. It is a shame, as you state here, that it is also used to promote sin.

Great post and well written.

chop said...

Hi i am just a visitor here and if you dont mind to put my thoughts about your post.

In my church, we continue to develop children from kings kid to next gen.We have special pastors that teaches them as they mature older and these pastors always follow up with the kids social and spiritual development.

Even when they graduate to working adults these dedicated pastors will call them, have a tea or coffee with them and even help them in their adult hood. 90% of our children in church always comes back to the Lord even their are far in other countries to studies or work. Our pastors embedded them the Christ like characters in their own language,their style or even their thoughts.

I must say that there is no 100% guarantee but it helps to deter them to sin conveniently. I think the pastors have done a good job in discipleship from young age to adults.

By the way God didn't said the last day the church will fall but God will establish and rise his church.

God Bless

Alana said...

Hey girl, just thinking about you and taking a trip through my bloglines. Looks like you have abandoned yours? Mine is mostly abandoned, but I show up once in awhile just to surprise myself :-)