Monday, September 3, 2007

Back Home

We spent this weekend at a huge cabin in Gatlinburg, TN with my father and sisters (and my sister's kids). We had a great weekend of shopping, riding go-karts, eating, playing cards and games, and playing pool. We had a great time just being together.

This morning, we stopped at a pancake house to eat breakfast before we all went our seperate ways. My boys (ages 3 & 6) were sitting beside me when a couple came in and sat behind us. These people had a obvious physical impairment (both of them). My boys kept staring and my 3 year old even asked a pretty loud question about why these people were made that way. After being completely embarrassed by his honest question, I told them both to stop staring and we would discuss it in the car. Later when we were talking about why some people have physical deformities, I told the boys that God made these people exactly how He wants them to be and they are beautiful in His sight. I told them that even though we might see them as imperfect, God sees them as His perfect creation.

That conversation made me clearly see (yet again) how my attitude toward people, life, and God helps shape my children's outlook on life. If I had said something flippant or critical of those people, my kids would be quick to make fun of those who are "different" (I am careful not to say things that my kids would mistake as making fun of others). They are like little "mocking birds" - whatever I say and do, they will also do. If I am critical of others and cynical, they will be the same. When I show love, encouragement, respect, and mercy toward others, they will too. I pray that I remember this in everything I do.

God, parenting is such a huge responsibility. Make me remember that all little eyes are on me at all times. Help me to be Jesus to my kids and everyone around me. Let me show love in all things so that my boys will show love in all things.

2 comments:

Lisa Bolling said...

Hi BethAnne-
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I noticed (as I followed your link) that you are from Northeast Tn - SO AM I!!! I live in Kingsport.
I can relate to your post today. I also have a six year old son and we have had similar conversations. Trying to explain such things can be trying - but it sounds like you handled it beautifully.
I'll look forward to hearing from you again real soon.
Blessings,
Lisa

Alana said...

Hi BethAnne,

Just saw your comment on KittyHox. The northeast TN comment caught my attention. My husband and I went to college at Milligan. LOVE that area. Welcome to the blogging world!